In this training session, we will cover what you really need to know about Form I-9 and E-Verify compliance as well as strategies for assessing hiring policies and implementing critical changes before ICE comes knocking on the door.
Why you should Attend
As they say, "The ICE man cometh". Anyone can claim an employer has not complied with E-Verify and Form I-9 requirements-and worst of all; those claims don’t even have to be true to trigger an audit. If that’s not enough, government agencies are actually starting to "talk" to each other. For example, the US Department of Labor (DOL) communicates with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) communicates with Child Support Services and on and on.
Research shows, however, that audits are often triggered by complaints, which, in turn, most often come from disgruntled employees. Others come from audits of targeted industries. The point is that you cannot assume that you are immune from an I-9 audit.
Attending this webinar will help you understand how to correctly fill out the I-9, and if you have made any mistakes up until now, how to correct them. You will also learn of new developments and some best practices, which should save your company from steep penalties.
Areas Covered in the Session
- Up-to-date I-9 compliance requirements
- Basic I-9 document review
- Recognize the effect of the new Form I-9 on hiring managers and field personnel
- Understand the new rules for acceptable documents used to verify employment eligibility
- E-Verify - pros and cons
- Understand the impact the new Form I-9 will have on the use of E-Verify
- Conducting a self-audit of your I-9 process
- How to avoid the common errors and omissions including recordkeeping errors
- Update on upcoming ICE I-9 audits
- Penalties for non-compliance
- Understanding civil and criminal penalties
- Walking the fine line between vigilance and illegal overstep when seeking proof of citizenship
- Establish best practices for reducing risks and correcting errors when using the new Form I-9
Who Will Benefit
- HR Directors
- HR Practitioners at all levels
- Hiring Managers
- Business Owners
- Senior Managers
- E-Verify Users
Janette Levey Frisch founder of The EmpLAWyerologist Firm, is an employment/HR attorney with over 20 years legal experience. Ms. Frisch is a legal wellness professional for employment practices and workforce challenges. She works with employers to craft solid employment practices wellness plans tailored to address a company’s needs and concerns. Ms. Frisch offers consultations and legal services on virtually all federal and NJ and NY state employment law issues.