Excel expert David Ringstrom, CPA, introduces several lookup functions, including VLOOKUP, HLOOKUP, MATCH, and CHOOSE, in this valuable presentation. These powerful Excel functions allow you to rapidly develop accurate spreadsheets and look up information, such as pay rates, item prices, and accounting results, versus manually linking to specific cells. David explains the context of when to use lookup functions, demonstrates troubleshooting techniques, and prepares you to deal with subtle issues that can prevent them from working properly.
David demonstrates every technique at least twice: first, on a PowerPoint slide with numbered steps, and second, in Excel 2016. He'll draw to your attention any differences in Excel 2013, 2010, or 2007 during the presentation as well as in his detailed handouts. David also provides an Excel workbook that includes most of the examples he uses during the webcast.
Why should you Attend
Practitioners who may benefit from working more efficiently in Excel by utilizing lookup formulas.
- Learn how to future-proof VLOOKUP by using Excel's Table feature versus referencing static ranges
- Learn how to improve the integrity of your spreadsheets with Excel's VLOOKUP function
- Learn how to apply the VLOOKUP and HLOOKUP functions
- Learn how to use the MATCH worksheet function to identify differences between two lists
Areas Covered in the Session
- Exploring why VLOOKUP sometimes returns #N/A instead of a desired result
- Implementing Data Validation to ensure users make choices that VLOOKUP will recognize as valid
- Improving the integrity of spreadsheets with Excel's VLOOKUP function
- Learning what types of user actions can trigger #REF! errors
- Simplifying multiple-field lookups with concatenation (combining fields into a single cell)
- Using VLOOKUP to look up data from another workbook
- Utilizing Excel's IFERROR function to display alternate values when VLOOKUP returns an error
Who Will Benefit
- Excel User
- Income Tax Preparers
- Enrolled Agents
- Financial Consultants
- IT Professionals
- Human Resource Personnel
- Government Personnel
David Ringstrom CPA, is an author and nationally recognized instructor who teaches scores of webinars each year. His Excel courses are based on over 25 years of consulting and teaching experience. David's mantra is "Either you work Excel, or it works you," so he focuses on what he sees users don't, but should, know about Microsoft Excel. His goal is to empower you to use Excel more effectively.