You can't have best practices in accounts payable without strong internal controls. They are an integral part. They are also very easy to overlook. While most executives are savvy enough to realize they need to be concerned about payment fraud, not everyone realizes they can also experience losses if they don't have the proper controls around all aspects of their AP function. Duplicate and erroneous payments, audit issues and lost vendor credits all have a deleterious bottom line impact.
Why should you Attend
Control problems can creep into the procure-to-pay at almost any point in the process. Join expert, Mary Schaeffer, as she shows you how to take advantage of instilling controls across the entire accounts payable spectrum.
- Identify how to take advantage of instilling controls across the entire accounts payable spectrum
- Recognize controls that no longer work
Areas Covered in the Session
- Controls that no longer work
- Ensure your segregation of duties regime doesn't fail
- Create the "building blocks" of a strong internal control master plan
- Best control practices for the entire procure-to-pay process;
- Evaluate your own processes to identify weak controls that need tightening;
- Fix the questionable controls so fraud and erroneous payments don't sneak through
- Pinpoint control issues that arise when payments are made outside AP and show you how you can tighten those controls
- Introduce practices that are often overlooked but strengthen controls
- Integrate strong fraud prevention routines into standard AP practices
Who Will Benefit
- Accounting Managers
- Auditors (internal and external)
- Accounts Payable Professionals
- Payroll Professionals
- Procure-to-pay professionals and travel Managers
Mary S. Schaeffer a nationally recognized accounts payable expert, founded AP Now, a membership organization focused on creating business intelligence around the accounts payable and payment function. She has written 18 business books and is a frequent and popular speaker at both online and live events.
Schaeffer has created a number of CPE self-study courses, customized training and online training events. Previously she held positions as an Assistant Treasurer for the Equitable Life Assurance Society, a Financial Risk Manager for O&Y and a Corporate Cash Manager for Continental Grain. She has an MBA in Finance from NYU and a BS in Mathematics from York College, which is public university system of New York City.